Alok Nath has been in the news for all the wrong reasons thanks to the sexual harassment case lodged by Vinta Nanda. However, he has been granted bail.
The last few months of 2018 the Me Too Movement has gained loads of momentum. The story that made a lot of heads turn was told by Vinta Nanda of how she was sexually assaulted and gaslighted by Alok Nath. She did garner a lot of support and after the official complaint was lodged, Alok Nath was booked in November 2018 under section 376 (punishment for rape) of the Indian Penal Code.
However, after a long legal battle, the court has finally granted Alok Nath bail. The additional Sessions Court judge has granted the relief on a surety bond of Rs 05 Lakh. The judge while ruling in favour of Alok Nath noted that this was because he found that the allegations Vinta Nanda raised were probably due to her unrequited and un-reciprocated love for the actor.
While the incident allegedly happened in 1998, the police complaint was made on October 17, 2018, and then, on the basis of the second report dated November 20, 2018, the FIR was registered against Alok Nath. The order states that Vinta Nanda in her report said that it was on the advice of her friends that she decided not to file a complaint at the time because Alok was a big actor and all her companies had been shut down.
"There is nothing on record to show that the applicant has given any threat or made any promise for not lodging the report. Thus, it reveals that the applicant did not lodge the report immediately after the alleged incident of her own benefit," the court observed.
While there is no time limitation to lodge the complaint about crimes under section 376 and 377 (unnatural offences) of the IPC, the court also observed that there was a delay of 20 years in filing the complaint.
Post the ordinance by the Sessions Court, Vinta Nanda states that while it is difficult to read about such aspersions cast on her story, she understands that the judge has made these notes based on Alok Nath’s application.